Women Taking Action will set up a College specializing in Wellness, Hair and Beauty at Pollsmoor Correctional Centre. The aim is to ensure that inmates become proficient in areas of Hair, Beauty and Wellness.
All students/inmates will adhere to set achievement standards for each practical skill. The scope of the course will include both theory and practical skills.
Due to overcrowding and the lack of space at Pollsmoor, 25-6 meter containers will be erected at the Correctional Centre for this purpose.
Once trained the students/inmates will be in a position to practice their skills and make money while still incarcerated by charging a nominal fee to do hair, massage, nails etc on staff and other inmates prepared to pay.
Qualified lecturers and interns will run the program.
* Follow Health and safety practice sense of self-worth.
* Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
* The art of dressing hair
* Styling men's hair
* Colour and lighten hair
* Display stock to promote sales in a salon
* Provide scalp massage services
* Monitor and Maintain Health and Safety Practice in the Salon
* Basic Cutting
Hairdressing & Wellness Training
* Hair Straightening
* Basic application of Colour
* Application of Treatments
* Promote Products and Services to Clients in the Salon
* Creative Hairdressing Design Skills
* Perm Hair to Create a Variety of Looks
* Relaxing Services for Afro Hair
* Time Management skills
* Reception skills
* Sales and Marketing techniques
* Understanding the Hairdressing Industry
* The art of Hair Design:
- Long Hair and Bridal Hairstyling
- Braiding & Dreadlocks
* Entrepreneurial subjects:
- Salon Management
- Salon Administration and Reception skills
1) Above are the basic skills the students/inmates will be taught.
2) The duration of the training will be 6 months.
3) Ultimately students/inmates will be equipped to be gainfully employed in the hairdressing industry or work from home to become self-sufficient thereby ensuring their complete reintegration back into society. This will assist in preventing the possibility of reoffending.
4) All students/inmates will be provided with a certificate of attendance on completion.
* Massage Technique
* Nail application and painting technique
* Waxing application & technique
* Client Comfort
* Salon Etiquette
* Time Management
* Product Knowledge &Training
* Time Management
* Theory notes
* Introductory knowledge on the circulatory / cardiovascular system, skeletal system & muscular system vital to the massage training
1) Duration of training will be 3 months including ongoing practical assessments
2) Ultimately students/inmates will be equipped to be gainfully employed in the beauty & wellness industry or work from home to become self-sufficient thereby ensuring their complete reintegration back into society. This will assist in preventing the possibility of reoffending
3) Students/inmates will be provided with a certificate of attendance on completion